“Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system files.”
First time I was struggling with the problem when I tried to install Dino-MITE – an excellent program for monitoring ancd controlling home dinosaurs manufactured by Ugobe. Later it appeared that the problem is more common and frequently occures with during the installation of various products written in Visual Basic.
In order to fix the problem
- go to the installation directory
- locate the file called SETUP.LST
- open that file with your favorite plain text editor (for instance, right-click on the file, select open and select Notepad in the dialog window).
- find the section named “[Bootstrap Files]”
- in that section comment out (by placing semicolon in the beginning on the line) entries that require stdole2.tlb, asycfilt.dll, olepro32.dll, oleaut32.dll and msvbvm60.dll
The resulting section should look like
File1=@VB6STKIT.DLL,$(WinSysPathSysFile),,,6/18/98 1:00:00 AM,102912,184.108.40.206
File2=@COMCAT.DLL,$(WinSysPathSysFile),$(DLLSelfRegister),,5/31/98 1:00:00 AM,22288,4.71.1460.1
;File3firstname.lastname@example.org,$(WinSysPathSysFile),$(TLBRegister),,8/10/04 7:00:00 AM,17920,3.50.5014.0
;File4email@example.com,$(WinSysPathSysFile),,,8/10/04 7:00:00 AM,65024,5.1.2600.2180
;File5firstname.lastname@example.org,$(WinSysPathSysFile),$(DLLSelfRegister),,8/10/04 7:00:00 AM,83456,5.1.2600.2180
;File6email@example.com,$(WinSysPathSysFile),$(DLLSelfRegister),,12/4/07 2:38:13 PM,550912,5.1.2600.3266
;File7firstname.lastname@example.org,$(WinSysPathSysFile),$(DLLSelfRegister),,2/23/04 8:42:40 PM,1386496,220.127.116.11
(your exact setup.lst could be a bit different.
Rerun the setup program and this time it should run flawlessly. Thanks to Arsam for his solution. On his page you can find more details about the problem.
This post is published in Windows.